Monday, October 24, 2022

That Place




"That Place"
It was night
when I finally finished cleaning.
   You had left long before now,
   weeks before me.
I packed all the boxes 
of things you left,
of things you told me 
to donate away.

I painted over 
the holes 
in the walls.
Cleaned the kitchen. 
Closed the blinds.
Walked through 
and looked at all the empty corners.

This place was what was left
and we are both leaving separately.
   All those emotions experienced here 
      are now among the walls,
among the silence and shadows.
Everything we said and felt
belongs now 
to the history of this space.

Right before I turned out the lights,
That last glimpse I took
I saw all 
the echoes of memory 
dance
through the hallways and the rooms.

Cried as I stood there 
for a second 
remembering
most our moments we spent there 
living our life together.
   But I, only stand here now 
   as a spectator 
watching it play out 
beyond the here and now,
   as only remnants of a happier time,
trying my damndest
to ignore what went wrong.

But I will take with me 
only what will hurt
and leave behind 
all the pleasant parts
because they won't come.
They belong there in the end anyway,
unspoiled,
for the silence and the walls.

We had our moments 
and now have both moved on.

I wonder every now and again 
where you are
but then the parts 
I took with me from that moment
come flooding back in 
and I choose not to remember you.

You're so far away from me now
that I don't know what you look like.
Don't know your name.
Don't even remember things you liked.

I do still remember that place, however.
Where it is. What it looks like.
   The off color of white the walls were painted.
   The stains on the carpet from the wine we spilled.
   The way the bed faced the window from the other end.
   The layout of the bathroom with the shower by the door.
The nights we took showers together 
and made love 
dripping in water.
Laid together on the couch 
as the sun dipped below the horizon.
The way the light shined 
through the kitchen window 
when we made breakfast for each other.

Oh no, There I go, remembering you again.
I can't anymore.
I choose not to think about you.
I won't remember you.
I choose not to remember you.

But 
sometimes I think 
I took too much with me from that place.
Maybe even stole some of those pleasant memories.
But I did it
Just so when I cry
I can find my reasons why.
-Armando Torres

0 comments: