Tuesday, February 22, 2022

I Will Destroy You







"I Will Destroy You"
There's a rage brewing in me.
I'm so sensitive
that I will hurt you back and stab
with deadly precision
so you couldn't be able 
to fake the pain
to attack back.

You would instead
have to defend yourself
from things that hurt for real
because that hurt is so deep,
     making you think
     about your own self worth
first
before trying to attack my insecurities.

I will destroy you
before you ever got close
to what makes me tick.
     I would have figured you out
     the moment you started to get to know me,
     I will never feel your hurt.

That self preservation
has left me alone.
I never get close.
Never allowed my heart to open up.
Never built a life or legacy.
Just tried to save myself from bullies.

I just worried about
not letting someone else
hurt my psyche.

But in my twilight years of life
realize now
I only let them win 
by developing
these thick skins
and defense mechanisms.
     I only let
     my own hurt
     leave a lonely
     soul dying
hoping
someone
would come visit me.

But I left nothing behind
and hurt everyone
I ever knew
because
     Not Hurting
was the only thing
that mattered.

So dying alone
in silence
is how that life
that started with such reverence
and screaming
and crying
as a baby
will end.

I'm sorry mom.
I'm sorry dad.
You're gone
and I will be too,
very...
     ...soon.
-Armando Torres

0 comments: