Thursday, December 2, 2021

I Don't Even Remember You






"I Don't Even Remember You"
I find the fire
this night
     a deceptive comfort.

The sting of the cold
attempts to creep in
     through my skin
but the warmth of the fire
keeps these
     icy demons at bay.

The shades of warm oranges
and
flickering yellows
     wash my face
     as I close my eyes
and
     I raise my chin
     to the sky.

I know
     what burns in the darkness.

I decided
long before now
     among
     the delicate sounds
          of piano notes
that I would burn it
     all down.

The soft warmth
has become a fiery sting
     on my skin
but I continue to watch
from a ways away
     as I let this fire
bring
     an end
          to everything.

I don't know
     if you were in there.

I just know
     that these flames
     have begun
to lick my face
     and this smile
has turned gnarled.

The world
begins to become
     silent
as the screams
     elegantly
turn into beautiful
     piano notes
so fondly remembered.

A melodic rhythm
     to fade away to.

I don't even remember you.
-Armando Torres

0 comments: