Thursday, December 9, 2021

What You Left Behind







"What You Left Behind"
There's a part of me
that wants you to hurt,
wants you to miss me,
     for you to say sorry
and beg
and plead
for me to take you back
     but for me to calmly say no.

It's a dream however,
     because
     you're never coming back.
Instead,
     I'm left with
     lonely despair
trying with all I have
to not fold
underneath
the weight of silence

There's a part of me
that wants you to feel what I feel,
for you to find the mistakes
that were made
and realize
your life should be with me
but for me to have already
     moved on to another life.

It's a fantasy however,
     because
     you have already moved on.
I saw you
at the grocery.
     You introduced me to your new life.
I said hi,
and then parted ways.

You didn't even see
     the gaping hole 
     you left in my chest
     from our past.
Didn't notice
the swell of pain
behind my eyes
Or
the decaying rot
of my wound.
You saw none of it
as you smiled
and turned
and walked away
with your new life.
Without another thought
about
     what you left behind.
-Armando Torres

0 comments: