Friday, July 30, 2021

The Dead Night



"The Dead Night"
There I sit
in the quiet darkness of it all
Wondering how it came to this;
Hearing the tiny chirps of the crickets
outside the window seal
      and the soft midnight breeze
brush against the leaves.

Nothing is left
But the calmness of the night;
the dead calm of it all.

The night sky sitting above
Watching,
     with its thousands of glittering eyes,
The things we do
     to satisfy those moments of urge.

There I sit in silent darkness
with my witness above and my eyes below;
there to sit
     to wonder how it came to this.

I sit with my head hung low
inside my chair
whose squeaks are the only other noise
to slice the dead silence of black,
the calmness of night;
I can finally feel the cold chill of darkness.

Drip dripping the cold blood on my hands;
trickling to the floor
staining a deep red;
Drip dripping this cold blood not of my own;
Drip dripping this silence of night off my hands.

I stare with my head hung low
by the window seal
at the dead calm of it all.

I sit in darkness
wondering how it came to this
but realize the silence of my answer.
Nothing is left
but the calmness of this night.
-Armando Torres

0 comments: