Monday, June 6, 2022

When The Good Started To Fade







I remember when
the good started to fade,
when your smiles became
less and less every day,
and the space
in between our words
grew so large
silence became
the only way
we communicated.

I still remember the yearning
in my heart 
to reconnect with you
while you were 
still around
and how 
for me
that eventually 
turned into 
deep internal tears.

We lived within a mold
we let grow
that stretched 
around the edges
of our connection
and let the natural decay
of our dying relationship
consume us
more each day.

We let the corrosive effects 
of resentment
kill the time we had left.

I took for granted the moments
we still had together.
Thinking naively that forever
was an option.

If I saw you today
I wouldn't even know what to say,
We became strangers so easily
that I wish too
our history would be
forgotten,

It's not that
I want to be with you anymore,
It's the lingering memory for me,
The remembering of
when the good started to fade,
And we did nothing
to save it.
-Armando Torres

0 comments: