Friday, August 14, 2020

In The Corner


"In The Corner"

At the end of every day I am reminded you are not here anymore,
Every time I see your side of the bed I feel this hole again,
     a missing piece ripped from me,
In the morning making my coffee
     I forget to make just enough for myself,
Instead
     I go and make breakfast for the both of us,
          As if you were still here,
I set your eggs and bacon with toast and coffee on your side of the table,
     I eat my meal as I choke down tears,
I thought I heard you call my name the other day,
     a hint of a whisper or perhaps just the wind,
All the rooms feel so suffocating without you,
     I find no solace in the light the day brings,
The silence that lingers in this house crushes my strength,
     I look at the empty spots you used to sit in and read,
The backyard bench we'd sit in and watch the leaves flutter and fall,
     I don't know if I can anymore,
          I don't know...
However,
     I thought I heard you whisper my name the other day,
          I thought I saw you in the other room as well,
I see you everywhere now,
     in every room of this house,
I now wait for the day to fade to night
          because the dark doesn't feel empty anymore,
There's something there now inside of it,
          Something lingering in the corner,
I don't feel so alone in the dark,
          I lay myself down on my side of the bed,
I just hope it's you in the corner.
-Armando Torres

0 comments: