Friday, August 21, 2020

Early Mornings



"Early Mornings"
I sit in the quiet darkness 
     of morning 
reminiscing,

The birds begin to sing their songs, 
     chirping their lyrics from the power lines,
The dark blues start to give way 
     to the warm hues of sunrise,

So many moments 
swell behind my weary eyes 
as I drink my coffee in the morning,
     remembering faded glimpses of my youth,

Time has washed away 
everything of worth and has left
the wreckage of a life 
     held together by only memories,

So many regrets, 
     so many thoughts both happy and wretched,
It's too much in the morning some days,
     too much to look in the mirror at my face
     and see my hollowed out eyes
     surrounded by circles
of dark shades of grey skin tones,

Too much to feel every ache and pain 
     of memory 
     in my bones,
To feel every ragged and worn out pull of my joints,
Too much to hear every echo of thought from years gone,
So I grab the bottle of vodka and serve a glass over ice,
It's only half passed nine and already I can't handle life.
-Armando Torres

0 comments: