Monday, January 23, 2023

A Brief Glimpse





"A Brief Glimpse"
The long hours of the night
drape over me 
like a large wool blanket 
laying heavy 
on my shoulders
pulling my frame 
toward the floor
hunching over
as my head aches downward,

An unspoken melancholy 
hangs within my eyes,

Some say 
I can see the future
and others believe me to be cursed,
   warning to never venture 
      near me
or else one can find 
      their life 
being forever tainted
with 
ill content and suffering,

I cannot see the future 
for the gleam in my eyes
are of past sorrows 
   and can only see 
   the mistakes that have 
passed 
   from this moment to the next
riding on the grains 
of sand in the hour glass,

For I cannot even see the grains 
before the decision 
and yet 
some say 
I carry their fate
within the wools of my shroud 
that forever lays heavy 
over my shoulders;
      but no fate exists 
that hasn't already been made,

I can only look upon those 
that have passed 
and only show what was,

I hold no power or intention, 

I am and therefore you are,

Yet Perhaps there is no future 
and peering into the past is the only future we have,
   confusing deeds done 
   for deeds that will be,

Then perhaps, 
it may be that 
   I can indeed 
   see the future
      and those tales told 
   do hold some truth
to them.
-Armando Torres

0 comments: