Thursday, July 30, 2026

mimic





"mimic"
I heard your voice 
coming from the other room,
it sounded just like you.
But I knew 
it wasn't you,
it was just a mimic 
using the sound of you 
to lure me in
but I could tell the difference,
it's only been 
a small length of time
since you left
and my memory of you 
is still so very vivid.

More winters have passed now 
and the house 
has slowly become unkempt,
I don't have the energy 
to do the small things,
your absence 
has drained me,
but I heard your voice again,
coming from the other room,
but it was not you,
at first 
it was just nice to hear you
that I almost followed you,
but I know the difference,
even if 
it says 
hey, come here,
I need you, 
help me,
as delicious as that sounds 
it is only the itch 
that I can't scratch,

Many more winters and autumns 
have passed now 
and the loneliness 
has eaten away 
all of my resolve,
the house is buried 
in shadow and trash,
I wouldn't know 
the difference between
what a good meal was 
and something 
I just grabbed off the floor,

I know I lost you 
but am I sure you left?
You call for me 
from time to time
from the other room
but I never listen,
I have just gotten used 
to you 
saying things like how 
you need me,
but is it you?

I feel the length of time 
of your absence 
but now 
when I hear your voice 
it's like you never left,

I stare at you 
as you stand 
in the corner 
draped in shadow,
it looks like you,
but without any of the details,
my mind 
fills in those pieces,
you show me 
your toothy grin
and call out 
to me again,
I'm coming, I say to you.
I'm coming.
-Armando Torres

0 comments: